Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Sweet Bread

Whenever someone invites us to their home, I like to bake something to bring over as a thank you.  Right now, my favorite thing to bake is anything with pumpkin!  I've tried out many pumpkin sweet bread recipes and this one is the best.  The bread stays super moist over several days and tastes just as good the 5 day as it did the first!  You can add your favorite ingredients or toppings to the bread - I like chocolate chips and walnuts best.

Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cup flour
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chopped walnuts

NOTE: These ingredients will yield 1 large loaf or 4 mini-loaves.

Instructions:
1.  Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Mix together the egg yolks, oil, water and canned pumpkin.
3.  Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
4.  Add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda and mix thoroughly.
5.  Add flour and mix thoroughly.
6.  Now here's where you can get creative.  If you just want to make one large loaf, you can add your chocolate chips or walnuts or whatever to the bowl and mix them in.  Then lightly spray a loaf pan with non-stick baking spray and pour the ingredients into the pan.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7.  I wanted to give these away as gifts so I made several mini-loaves.  First, I used a Sharpie to write the "add-ins" on the bottom of the tin.
8.  Next I lightly sprayed the inside of the tin with non-stick baking spray and poured the mixture into the tin.  I filled the tins ~2/3 full.  They will puff up a lot.
9.  Then I added my "add-ins", in this case I added some chocolate chips, and stirred them around with the spatula.  Now it's ready to bake!
10.  I did another mini-loaf with chopped walnuts added in and sprinkled on top.  And I did another mini-loaf with chocolate chips added in and chopped walnuts sprinkled on top.
11.  The mini-loaves only need 40-45 minutes to bake.  The loaves that I topped with walnuts took 45 minutes, where as the loaves with just chocolate chips mixed in took ~40 minutes.  Be sure to test with a tooth pick.
12.  Let them cool down and then you can either wrap them in Saran Wrap or tin foil or if you have the cute little lids that go with the disposable tins you can just use those.  I decorated mine with felt pumpkin stickers!


Pin It

2 comments:

Becky R said...

oh man, I was in love with this stuff when you made it!You sent one to us one Thanksgiving, and I have to admit that I hid it in the back of the freezor. Pumpkin bread? What pumpkin bread? Must've eaten it all already...delicious

Cathy said...

I have a loaf hidden in my freezer right now too! Great minds think alike ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...