Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Tracy's Healthy Bran Muffins

My sister-in-law, Tracy, made muffins for my dad for Father's Day.  He loved them so much that he asked her to show him how to make the muffins.  I witnessed this event.  It was probably the first time my dad has baked in his entire life.  It was pretty hilarious.  I'd love to see my dad try to bake these muffins again on his own.

I decided to try out the recipe myself.  I will warn you that if you're expecting a yummy, sweet bakery muffin, this is not the muffin for you.  If you want a healthy muffin that you can eat on the go and has a little bit of sweetness, you'll like this muffin.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup multi-grain flour (you can buy this in specific quantities in the bulk bin section at Whole Foods to avoid having to buy pre-packaged)
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup wheat germ, raw
1 cup whole ground flax seed meal
2 cups wheat bran
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup raw agave nectar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
8 egg whites
1 1/2 cups raisins (or more if desired)
1 cup chopped pecans (or more if desired)

Yield: 26 muffins

Instructions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Spray muffin tin with non-stick baking spray or use muffin cups.
3.  Combine dry ingredients (multi-grain flour, baking soda, baking powder, wheat germ, flax seed meal and wheat bran) in a large bowl.
4.  Add water and milk and mix until combined, being careful not to over-mix.
5.  Add agave nectar and applesauce and mix - don't over-mix.
6.  Add egg white and mix.
7.  Add raisins and pecans and mix.


8.  Fill muffin tin about 3/4 full with ingredients.
9.  Bake for 25 minutes.  


10.  Allow muffins to cool after baking and store in an air tight container.  They will last for 4-5 days.  After 5 days, I peel the muffin cups off and wrap each muffin individually in foil, seal them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer.  Just reheat them in the microwave for ~45 seconds and they're ready to eat!

I think these muffins will be the perfect, quick and easy breakfast when the new baby arrives.  I always find it so hard to feed myself healthy foods when I have a newborn.

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...