Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kids Craft Box Subscriptions

I have been doing some baby prep work lately.  There are so many things to take care of before baby girl arrives in October...turn our Toy Room into a nursery, get "big girl" furniture for Ava's room, finish the basement, order new car seats (so we can fit 3 across rather than buy a new car), etc, etc.

Whether or not any of the above is accomplished, one thing is for sure - I will be a mess when baby girl arrives.  How will I get Ava to school on time?  How will I make dinner?  Heck, how will I get to the grocery store to even buy the food?  And when do I find the time to shower, brush my teeth and feed myself?  The main thing cramping my style is not baby girl.....it's the pumping.  For the first month or two of baby girl's life, I will (literally) be attached to my pump every 2-3 hours.  Hopefully between months 2 and 3 I will start producing enough milk to feed baby girl for an entire day and can cut back to pumping every 3 to 4 hours.  Please spare me the Le Leche League speeches.  Nursing doesn't work for me.  My body does not make milk easily.  And trust me when I say that I've tried EVERYTHING.

Knowing that I'm going to struggle for a while, I've been thinking of ways to ease the transition for Ava and Sidney.  I was reading my Parenting magazine and they mentioned  a company called Kiwi Crate.  For $19.95 per month, they will send your child a "crate" with all the materials needed for multiple arts and crafts projects.  You mean, I don't have to come up with the projects or get to the store to buy the materials.  A beautiful box just shows up on my doorstep.  All I have to do is sneak outside in my PJ's.  Where do I sign up??!!

That got me thinking, there must be a lot of these types of companies out there.  I did a little research and here's what I found:

Kiwi Crate
- Ages: 3 - 7
- Cost: $19.95/month (cancel anytime) or $220/year (one month free)
- Sibling Add-On Option: $7.95 additional per month for extra materials for sibling
- Free shipping on all orders
- Includes: At least 2 projects per month plus more online that focuses on a number of developmental areas through art, science and imaginative play.

Wonder Box:
- Ages: 3 - 6
- Cost: $19.95/month (cancel anytime) or $58.99/3 months plus a free gift
- Free shipping on all orders
- Includes: 3 educational projects per box that focus on achieving developmental milestones through arts and crafts and science

Crafty Parent:
- Ages: 3 and up
- Cost: $29.95/month plus $5.99 shipping
- Free shipping on yearly subscriptions
- Includes: 4 projects per box, 4 recipes for snacks and family meals, 4 activities that can be completed with household supplies, a newsletter filled with extra activities, occasional silly songs or kid-sized cooking utensils

Green Kid Crafts:
- Ages: 3 - 8
- Cost: $19.95/month (cancel anytime)
- Free shipping on all orders
- Includes: At least 3 earth-friendly projects per month "that will spark creativity and cultivate respect and love for the environment"

BabbaCo: 
- Ages: 3 - 6
- Cost: $29.95/month or $300/year (includes 2 free boxes)
- Free shipping on all orders
- Includes: 2-3 projects per box, a theme-based product to engage with the world and nature, a book and interactive learning with prepaid downloads

I haven't decided which to go with, but I like the month-to-month options and the $19.95 price point.  Have you tried any of these products?  I'd love to hear some reviews!


Pin It

4 comments:

Tiffany Dohrmann said...

Hey Cathy- I am worried about the same thing... well keeping Adam entertained while I tend to the new baby. The craft boxes sound like a great idea!!! I did find a few great ideas on pinterest and made a "nursing box" that I am filling with things he can only do or play with when I need to nurse or do other baby things. Some are craft things, some books, some movies, and I am thinking that he can only bring it out when I need to focus on the baby. let me know what you decide on! I have been picking up stuff from the dollar store or Target's $1 bins for the past few months so there are a bunch of new things for him to do.

Cathy said...

The nursing box is a great idea Tiffany! Thanks for the suggestion! I can't believe your baby girl is due any day now....can't wait to hear the big announcement!

Boos Mom said...

Hi Cathy, I think things have been so hectic here with new baby that I have not officially congratulated you on baby girl #3!!!! I am so excited for you!!! I can't wait to hear how things work out this pregnancy and how life is adjusted again in October. I am so happy for you!! I understand the pumping time commitment. I have been doing the same after this baby and boy is it tough. In the beginning I thought there was no chance I could keep pumping but I'm still at it 4 1/2 months later but it has gotten to be so much more manageable. I love your blog and all your great craft and recipe ideas! You are very talented and have such cute girls!!! - Stefanie

Cathy said...

Thanks Stef! And good luck with the pumping - 4 1/2 months is amazing, especially with all the running around you have to do with Brooklyn. It's tough being tied to a pumping schedule. And all the extra dish washing....don't even get me started. I can't wait to see more pictures of baby Sofia and Brooklyn - such cuties!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...