It's December and even though it's an unusual 78 degrees outside and doesn't feel like Christmastime, I'm not going to let that deter me from my Christmas baking. My family loves Peppermint Bark and it's so easy to make. Here's my simple 4 ingredient recipe:
12 - 16 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
15 oz white chocolate chips (I like Hershey’s Premier White Chips)
¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
½ - 1 cup peppermint candy, crushed
1. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil, letting it hang over the sides. Spray foil with non-stick spray.
3. Pour the semi-sweet chocolate chips in an even layer on the foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until almost melted. Check every 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, smooth with an offset spatula or knife and place in freezer until cold and firm, about 10 minutes.
5. Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave, checking the chocolate every 30 seconds until melted. Do not overheat the chocolate - it will be unusable.
6. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until completely melted while stirring in the peppermint extract.
7. Let the white chocolate cool a little bit so it does not melt the chocolate layer when you pour it on top. Then pour into the pan over chocolate layer, and, working quickly, spread to cover.
8. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy and chill in the freezer until both layers are firm.
9. Lift foil out of pan and shake off excess candy and trim edges. Cut into 2” wide strips.
10. Peel bark from foil and cut each strip as desired.
11. Keep chilled in the refrigerator in a covered container.