Okay, okay. I know you've probably had enough of my pumpkin recipes, but hear me out. This one is truly amazing! I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it for the first time this year and I'm already getting requests to bake it again. You will not be disappointed, I promise! I baked this a few days before Clara was born and while Tim and I were in the hospital my parents and my in-laws polished it off! I like to think that it was a "thank you for watching my kids while I was away" gift to them!
1/3 cups water
1 can pureed pumpkin (15 Oz)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (See Note below)
1 box yellow cake mix (18 Ounce Box)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar, divided
½ cups flour
4 Tbsp butter, melted
¼ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cups heavy whipping cream
If you do not have pumpkin pie spice you can make your own by combining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl mix together the water, pumpkin, eggs, 1 Tablespoon of vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Add the cake mix and baking soda and mix until just combined.
3. Grease a 9×13 pan with butter and pour batter into pan.
4. In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and melted butter.
5. Use your fingers to sprinkle over the top of the cake.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. For the glaze, combine the other 1/2 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved.
8. When cake is finished baking, poke holes in the top with a toothpick. Pour glaze over the cake, making sure to cover all surfaces. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
When I make this again, I'm going to add chopped walnuts and pecans to the topping....yuuuuummmmm!