Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Popsicle Memory Game

I have always loved playing games.  They were a big part of my childhood.  My dad taught me a lot of card games and "number" games.  My favorite is Rummikub.  I am not very competitive except when it comes to playing Tim in Rummikub.  We started keeping score in 2009.


As you can see, I am DOMINATING!  And since we're keeping score, the count is Cathy - 26 wins; Tim - 15 wins.  My dad must be so proud.  We haven't played since February 2011.  I think Tim is scared ;)

So now I'm trying to instill the love of games in my girls.  I think games are a great way to teach kids about following rules, fairness and good sportsmanship.  I found the idea for the Popsicle Memory Game on Pinterest.  



It's very simple to make.  You'll need Popsicle sticks, white paint, printed scrapbook paper, solid colored card stock, and regular and double stick tape.




First I painted both sides of the Popsicle sticks with white paint.




While the paint dried, I cut Popsicle shapes out of the printed scrapbook paper and white card stock using a ruler and a cup and a Popsicle template.  You don't necessarily have to use Popsicle shapes just because you're taping them to Popsicle sticks.  You could cut out butterflies or flowers or race cars or airplanes, or whatever.  My girls LOVE Popsicles so I stuck with my Popsicle template.




To make the Popsicle, I taped the Popsicle stick to the inside of the printed scrapbook paper.  Then I used double stick tape to secure the white card stock to the back of the Popsicle.




Then I found a tin box to keep our game pieces together.  I think it turned out pretty cute!


I also found a good article on skill-building board games by age on the Parents website.  Click here to check it out.  Happy gaming!

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...