Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

"Build A Town" Play Mat

Our Parents As Teachers educator came over for Sidney's 2 year evaluation and told me about all of the great developmental benefits of playing with building blocks.  (Here is a good article on building blocks if your interested.)  She recommended creating a "block station" somewhere in the house for the kids to encourage them to play with blocks.  I tried this but even I was not drawn to play with the blocks.  Then I found this great road play mat idea in my Disney Family Fun magazine.




It was very easy to make and I love that there are just roads.  It allows you to be creative and build your own town along the road.  I found some great blocks, a farm and town pieces on Amazon.  I also bought some cars and trucks from the Dollar Store and some town people and service workers on Amazon.  It turned out to be a great Christmas gift for the girls!




I keep all the pieces in a storage container so that they're not laying all over the floor.


Here's what you need to make one of your own:

  • Grass Flannel-Backed Vinyl Table Cover (I bought mine at Party City)
  • Thick black Duct tape
  • Thin yellow Duct tape
  • Scissors
Have fun building!

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...