Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
It is very hard for me to try out new pumpkin recipes because I LOVE my pumpkin bread so much. But I saw a picture of these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bars from two peas & their pod and couldn't resist trying them. While I still rank my pumpkin bread #1, these bars are nice for a change!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. With a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth.
4. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
5. Add pumpkin puree and mix well. The mixture will look somewhat curdled.
6. Reduce speed to low, and mix in dry ingredients until just combined.
7. Fold in chocolate chips. I used semisweet mini chocolate chips.
8. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
9. Bake bars for 30-35 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
10. Cool bars completely in pan. Cut into squares and serve.
This would also be great warmed with some vanilla ice cream!!!