Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Healthy Banana Muffins


As I mentioned before, I am (slowly) trying to revamp Ava's school lunches.  Two things led to this: 


1. I was bored of packing the same foods in Ava's lunch and I had to figure that she was bored of eating the same old lunch everyday.  
2. Ava was starting to notice that her school friends were bringing more "fun" food to school (and by fun I mean treat-y stuff).

Let me first say, I'm all about letting kids eat treats.  Everything in moderation is our motto. However, if I can trick my kids into thinking something is a treat when it's actually healthy, well that's just a win, win!  I found this recipe for Healthy Banana Muffins on 100 Days of Real Food.  



INGREDIENTS:
2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup honey
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tbsp Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
Raisins (optional)
Nuts (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease mini muffin pan.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and flaxseed meal.
3. In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, vanilla and raisins.
4. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not overmix.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan.  Top with nuts if you prefer.  I made one batch with nuts (for home) and one without (for school).




6. Bake for 15 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick.


Ava loves these little muffin!  And they're a much healthier alternative compared to processed packaged treats.  Also, they freeze really well.  I take them out the night before and put one in Ava's Ziploc Divided Container in the fridge.  By lunch time the next day, it's ready to eat! 

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...